Monday, April 27, 2009

Why Japanese Imports will remain on top.

Of all the industries that turned their back on the youth market none is more guilty than Detroit. Look at the car above. Nice looking, I concede this fact. The problem is this is a near replica of the same late 60's/early 70's model.

The issue is I have NO personal attachment to a car like this and those younger than me have even less. I didn't grow up with these, and the few I saw as a teenager were ratted out with faded paint and broken mufflers. Detroit pissed on forward thinking and decided to repackage the same crap they made decades ago to capture the babyboomer market a final time.

The domestic cars can't even perform with an equally priced Japanese equivalent. Check out this car comparison between a Ford Mustang vs. a Subaru STI:



Yeah, I bet a 20 something would really choose a Mustang over an STI after viewing this.

4 comments:

Bag Blog said...

My baby boomer hubby was all about muscle cars when he was a teen. When we married he owned a 74 Camero, which would only hold two passengers - me and a six-pack. And yes, he drools over then new Camero out on the market. Later in life while raising our two kids and living in the mountains where 4 wheel drive was a necessity, we owned a Subaru. You had to be going downhill and have several miles of open highway to pass someone - it was a bit of a dog. If he were to buy a car today, he would definitely go for the Subaru - nice combination of speed and comfort and sport. Does Detroit make a car like that?

Wek said...

Sadly, Ford makes an awesome Focus. Very light and over 300 horsepower. BUT THE DAMN THING IS ONLY AVAILABLE IN EUROPE!!! WTF!!!

Kath said...

BB, I drive a Chevy Tahoe and love it. Roomy, easy to drive, good on gas (relatively speaking), and has all the bells and whistles you could wish for.

Bag Blog said...

When we were in Italy several years ago, I drove a Ford Focus and it was a diesel - why can't we have those in the USA. My husband drove a Fiat Punto (or maybe it was a Stilo)which was great. Now that Fiat has bought Chrysler maybe we will get some sort of Fiats here in the USA.