Monday, October 20, 2008

Go Rays

Whoa. If you happened to have seen my post from last Thursday you'll know that I nearly jinxed the Tampa Bay Rays from making it to the World Series. Thankfully, the Rays bailed my overly anxious mouth out and eventually won the ALCS against the Boston Red Sox.

Although I'm obviously happy for the local team, there is a bit of sadness in their defeat of Boston. Here's my reasoning: the Red Sox have been the best team of the decade and the core of their team is comprised of GenXsters (David Ortiz, Kevin Youkilis, et cetera). The Rays best players are all south of 26 years old and obviously from Generation Whine. The Rays didn't just end the Red Sox dominance, they effectively closed the chapter on Gen X being the preeminent force in Major League Baseball.

.....unlike the boomers, it's important for us to know when to hand over our sword.

No comments: