Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Incoherent Observation

I've been out of the dating scene for the last 5 years due to my luck of meeting a super cool girl (don't give me hell for not being married, we're happy as we are). Really, I don't deserve her at all after living the life of a drunken libertine from middle school through my early 30's. I'm not necessarily sure if I was sick of the lifestyle, or if the lifestyle conformed into something I'm not. I think it's the latter.

In the late 90's the social scene became more dance clubby and every other person appeared twisted on ecstasy, the annoying drug that makes azzholes into feely, touchy azzholes. Personally, I hate drugs. Always have. Booze worked for me and I never turn my back on a friend. Anyway, when I was 31 I dated a girl that was 21. We didn't have much in common other than hanging out at the same St. Pete beach bars on Saturdays. I thought we got along well enough to remain dating until I met her parents. They liked me, so it wasn't an issue of them poisoning the well. The problem was I actually had more in common with them than I did with their daughter. Her father and I had the same tastes in cars, his favorite Zeppelin album was also mine (Physical Graffiti), and he was also a huge James Dean fan. I was deeply disturbed that, at the time, I had more in common with babyboomers than a Millenial. God, I'm so lame. I broke up with her the next time we had a fight over nothing by acting like whatever she did, I no longer remember, was the biggest effin deal in the world. It finally dawned on me that any meaningful relationship I ever had was with a GenXster. I've never dated a boomer, and since they're sagging or botoxing now, it will NEVER happen. I'll happily stick with my GenXster.


NOTE: I know it may seem peculiar that someone could even think about being a clown in their 30's. But I live in Florida, the land of people "fucking off", so believe it or not it's perfectly acceptable for people of any age to continue to act like a high schooler who's parents just left alone in the house for the weekend.

2 comments:

Jennifer Chronicles (jenx67.com) said...

I like it when you dive a little deeper, Latchkey Man. I dated a Baby Boomer ever so briefly. My ex husband told me he thought he looked like a horse, and that he was so tall, it looked like he was sitting in the backseat whie he was driving. I never went out with him again. As far as Milliennials - I can't think of a worse nightmare than dating a boy who is actually a boy, since all the men I've dated have been, well, boys. And, you didn't ask to hear all this crap, but you know you like it. Right? HAHAHAHAH! Good luck with the girl. Given the fact she's an Xer you're at least guaranteed 50 percent more success than you would have with any other generatin.

Wek said...

Ha! Great story!

I wish I had time to "dive a little deeper", it's just that goddamn job thing that likes to make me get home about the same time the bars are letting out.