Sunday, November 2, 2008

Gen X: So not liberal

This is interesting. Sort of, at least. The hyperlink has the Presidential polling from the Daily Kos tracker (Don't give me shit as being a liberal partisan. Markos' tracked the races fairly accurately in '06 so he knows something 'bout crunching these #'s). Check out the 30-44 year old (all GenXsters) support for Senator McCain. It's well above even the really old bastards. I tried to copy it onto this post, but it failed like Limp Bizkit trying to sell out a stadium.

I have a few theories in regards to the GenXsters support of the Republican platform. First is the Republican's preaching (and no, I will not add the word "practicing" here) personal responsibility. None of the living generations have had as much self reliance as Gen X. There is no argument here: us Latchkey Kids have had to grow up much faster than the 'Leave it to Beaver' fucks and the Sweet 16 celebrating Millenials. Generally, we don't take things for granted and we don't trust anyone else making decisions for us, and we really don't trust government and we really, really don't believe Social Security will be around to help us after the boomers engulf it like Marilyn Chambers took all of John Holmes.

Nextly, is Ronald Reagan. Older GenXsters voted for him in tremendous #'s. The "Reagan Youth" have still retained their conservative "values" from his influence. Not that my high school was the microcosm of all young society from 1986 to 1990, but the conservative kids seemed to vastly outnumber the liberals. That entire mantra of people becoming more conservative with age seemed ridiculous to me since I thought most of my peers were right-wingers before we'd ever been to prom. Personally, I couldn't stand Reagan, but I have my reasoning: my grandfather, father and uncle were all Police Officers. When the crack epidemic hit the cities hard Reagan couldn't care less and told us to "just say no". The Police were vastly underfunded and did not have the manpower to keep the streets safe. Furthermore, Reagan fucked the unions. Yeah, yeah.....I know some people hate unions and always think of the corrupt On the Waterfront scenes, but the next time you have off on a Saturday and Sunday remember to THANK UNIONS FOR MAKING IT POSSIBLE.

.....now back to your regular programming.

2 comments:

Jennifer Chronicles (jenx67.com) said...

interesting thought. probably spot on.

Wek said...

Hey Jen! Actually it's prob not too accurate since I never take the time to research anything I write.