Monday, November 10, 2008

This Xster does not represent me

The Chicago Sun Times picked up this crap from Salon. Let us take it apart bit by bit.

Dear boomers: We're sorry for rolling our eyes at you all these years. We apologize for scoffing at your earnestness, your lack of self-deprecation, your tendency to take yourselves a little too seriously. We can go ahead and admit now that we grew tired of hearing about the '60s and the peace movement, as if you had to live through those times to understand anything at all.

Sorry? Is you nutz? We didn't roll our eyes at their 'peace movement' (aka: please God don't let them draft my ass into war), we continue to "scoff" at them for being sellout weenies for trading in their youthful beliefs when they were first able to pad their wallets and purses.

As our parents, you told us to tell you anything, to be honest, to come to you with our problems, but when we did, you were uncomfortable and dismissive. You didn't really want to know how we felt.

What generation is she from? A good portion of us GenXsters are from broken homes or had both parents working. I don't recall my folks having time to recognize when I had problems (I will never blame them for this. They both had to work hard to provide for my family). We are generally independent and didn't seek nor want advice from the parentals.

We doubted even the most heartfelt, genuine statements. We didn't want to be blind to our own faults, like you were, so we paraded our faults around, exalted in our shortcomings. The worst thing, to us, was to not see ourselves clearly. The worst thing was to not be in on the joke.

How is this a negative? We knew boomers were bloviating do-nothings, so we became realists and knew they were all bullshit.

WEK THEORY: the boomers knew they were unable to live up to the standards set by the previous 2 generations (G.I. and Silent) and they took it out on Gen X since they vastly outnumbered us. Again, nothing pissed me off more than when I was working at a bar serving drinks to boomers with no more formal education than I had. I was dismissed as a slacker, but those muthafuckas weren't hiring at their companies. I would have been happy to have had a "real job" with benefits, yet even my Ivy League peers were struggling to get by.

Just when we were starting to understand how to be a part of the larger world outside, Al Gore had the election stolen right out of his hands in Florida, and then the twin towers collapsed before our eyes. At first we felt moved to act for the greater good in the wake of that tragedy. But then the whole country seemed to implode in front of us, from our invasion of two sovereign nations to the rise of celebrity culture to tanning beds to McMansions to Guantanamo Bay to Hummers. It was so sad and pathetic that it was funny to us, even if it was only sad and pathetic to you.

Emphasis above courtesy of me. I feel like I'm Tommy from Goodfellas: "Funny how? Am I a clown here to amuse you? Amuse you!?" I didn't find anything humorous at all.....okay maybe the "rise of celebrity culture" and "McMansions", but that is all. There's a reason I've never heard of a single 9-11 joke- it's because there's nothing fucking funny about it. And I know there are varied opinions of the Iraq War. I get it. But to somehow even suggest that invading the sovereign nation of Afghanistan was wrong? Are you crazy? I think any sane person realizes there are quite a few people there that would be happier if the United States looked like the History Channel's program "Earth After People".

Nuff said. I need to wind down and go to sleep.

Please read "The Last GenXster Ever Born (LT. Nixon)" take on this trash.

No comments: