Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Snubbed Gen X Authors

Along with Dave Eggers these 2 remain my faves.
I have an interest in all things Gen X. I'm also a fiction writer. So, it's only natural that I would be interested in other authors born during that so-called "baby bust" era, particularly "era defining" scribes. And being the geek that I am, I would also do such things as search for the top whatever (ten, twenty) Gen X books. For sure, such a search would mention Douglas Coupland (SHAMELESS PLUG ALERT:see my recent article: That's so Gen X: Douglas Coupland and Starbucks), at least two David Foster Wallace books (The Broom of the System; Infinite Jest) and some Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club; Choke).It almost sounds brainless: of course such a search would render those three authors.

3 comments:

The Ледоруб (The Ice Ax?) said...

Looking for your Examiner article but am having trouble with the link. Do you have another link to it?

Wek said...

Check it again. Looks like it's working now.

Anonymous said...

Just to add to your list, I'd include:

1) Mary Gaitskill -- at 54 she may technically fall outside the age range for GenX but then so would McInerney

2)William T. Vollman

4)Michael Chabon -- Pulitzer winner

5)Junot Diaz -- another Pulitzer winner

6)Dan Chaon -- his new novel, Await Your Reply has been compared to Pynchon

7)Richard Powers

8)Jonathan Franzen.

etc.