Thursday, October 21, 2010

Act selfishly (bad advice of the day)

Put your health ahead of your kids' and your soon to be dead parents.
When asked about her health and that of her fellow generation Xers, Paula McGarrigle laughs wryly.

"Well, I just had knee surgery last week and I got reading glasses two weeks ago," says the 43-year-old.

"Now I'm realizing that I'm just like everyone else in that I'm getting older. When the surgeon says, 'You have a degenerative tear,' I'm thinking, 'But I'm only 43!' "

She wonders how she'll fit post-surgery physiotherapy into her jam-packed schedule.

McGarrigle is part of a generation that's being squeezed. Hard.

Roughly defined as the generation born between the early 1960s and the late 1970s, gen Xers are often simultaneously building their careers, raising young children and dealing with aging parents. Health? Who's got time for that?

1 comment:

Bag Blog said...

When I turned 40, reading glasses were tough on me. Now I have a pair for each outfit - they have become accessories - like jewelry.