Monday, October 18, 2010

Father Doug speaks

Remember when you heard the good times take its final breath?
Mr. DOUGLAS COUPLAND (Author, "Player One"): I think way back, the '20s or the '30s, when Kodak came out with the Brownie and they put a list of instructions on the box, like how to use this thing, I think someone arbitrarily said, make sure the person in the photograph is smiling. And we went from that one sort of set of industrial instructions to this whole culture of perkiness.

In the future, it's going to get worse: no silver linings, no lemonade. The elevator only goes down, and the bright note is that the elevator will, at some point, stop.

3 comments:

Bag Blog said...

I’m not usually a pessimist, but that guy really sucks. Don’t listen to such stuff. Negativity breeds negativity and who wants to be around that?

Kath said...

How RUDE!! Who got his panties in a bunch??

Since I was recently described as a unicorns-butterflies-rainbows-disgustingly-cheerful person (which I TOTALLY took as a compliment) I agree with BB that this guy sucks!

Wek said...

I'll have to re-read it. Right after I finish drinking from my half empty glass of water.