Sunday, July 12, 2009

Disco Ended 30 years ago today

30 years ago today the babyboomers greatest contribution to music was destroyed during a baseball doubleheader at Comiskey Park in Chicago at what had been billed as Disco Demolition Night. That's right folks, Disco remains the boomers most notable contribution to the airwaves. Bands like the Beatles and Rolling Stones are from a prior generation. Not even legend Jimi Hendrix is a boomer.

What a beautiful night I wish I'd been present for. Fire, destruction, sex on the field. This is the 1968 Democratic Convention except the fans wanted chaos, not peace. And the fans won. Hordes of police still couldn't contain the mayhem. Ahhhh....beautiful, beautiful violence.

2 comments:

Nixon said...

But it's terrible legacy lives on! How else can crappy pop stars like Shakira keep making #1 singles.

Wek said...

I know, I know. I suppose it's time to admit that Disco did influence music in a terrible direction.