Sunday, March 9, 2008

Random Reflection

I finished college before the Roaring 90's began, a time when revolving door jobs were the norm for grads. I worked for a company that hired me to work just under the weekly hour requirement for them to provide me with benefits (FKN faceless big business assholes!).

To supplement my lack of income I bounced at a somewhat rowdy place my friends worked at. All of us had degrees we would have been happy to've used if the economic climate were different. The most frustrating part of this were the old goons that looked at us with contempt ("Why are you wasting your degree working there?" / "When are you gonna get a real job?"). I mean Jeebus, didn't they have access to the Wall Street Journal's job reports? Fuck, even Ivy Leaguers realized they made a mistake by graduating on time. The last thing I wanted to hear from was some greying, fat prick that had the same degree I had but just happened to be born at the right time in Our Country's history.

All and all it was a fun era that extended my time without priorities. I lived in the unfinished basement of a duplex I shared with 3 other friends and a pooch. Half of our furniture were lawn chairs and sofas we lugged around for a few years after graduating.

No comments: