Thursday, March 20, 2008

They're onto us

From Branding Strategy:

Andaz is squarely aimed at the maturing Generation X market. Gen X'ers are now evolving from their grungy 20th-century adolescence and rapidly becoming the major market segment for business travel. Like all great demographic segments, they demand alternative brands to those patronised by their parents - the baby boomers - especially when these boomers continue to stay in these hotels into their retirement. It is a classic dynamic targeting problem - you can't have the fathers and the sons staying at the same place.

But there is more to Andaz than simple target marketing. X'ers are notoriously uncomfortable with generic global brands and prefer to seek out local specialties and experiences instead. While their parents might prefer hotels with identicalbathrooms from Atlanta to Zurich, X'ers like to celebrate local differences. Andaz will attempt to cater to this by allowing each of its hotels to celebrate their local autonomy through different designs and offerings. Andaz will also cater to the X'er market by offering organic food and environmentally-sound operating principles.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Grungy 20th century adolescence?" What's with these marketing oafs?

Yeah, I remember the early 90's, when I wore flannels and listened to Love Battery. And then I got my First Post-College Job, when I became a metrosexual - I was obsessed with frosted tips, scented lotions for my skin, and body sculpting.

Now that I'm in my mid-thirties and JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE IN THEIR MID-THIRTIES, I can't get enough choices in organic food. I shed a lone tear with a small 'x' on it whenever I have to eat pinto beans from a can, because it reminds me of my parents...I swear, if I turn right at the door to take a whizz in a hotel room one more time, I'm going to end it all like my anointed spokesgrungeperson, Burt Gobain...

Wek said...

Ahh come on Rockie!!! Suicide is 'stuff white people like'.

P.S. My above post is dedicated to you! I've done my best to avoid the Gen X/Nirvana connection, but I just couldn't contain myself.