Tuesday, April 28, 2009

We're a bunch of wingnuts

This is really an unsurprising find.
The children of the baby boomers, Generation X, were thus born into a world of increasing cynicism about government, and they grew up during the Ronald Reagan and George Bush Senior administrations, when government was under systematic assault and social ills were blamed on a failed welfare state. Their depressed outlook was further fueled by a multitude of griefs -- from rising divorce rates to the economic recession to the crack epidemic to the AIDS explosion -- that made the world a dangerous place. In 1984 and 1988, as Generation X came of voting age, only 40.8 percent and 36.2 percent of people under 25 voted in those respective presidential elections. And this generation remains the most disaffected -- and conservative -- in the electorate.

Ronnie Reagan seemed to speak to a lot of GenXsters. Certainly many I grew up with continue to have admiration for the man. I can see why Reagan's message of 'you don't need to be governed by the government' resonated with so many of us since a high % of Xsters grew in single households or in homes where both parents worked. Since 5th grade I've felt like I've been my own boss. I made my breakfast every morning (granted, it usually consisted of toasting Pop Tarts) and threw my own clothes in the washing machine. After school let out I had 4 hours to screw around before the 1st of my parentals parked their car for the night. So, yeah, having "the man" look out for those with similar backgrounds doesn't sound enticing.

NOTE: I'm not claiming to have had a rough upbringing; decent schools, comfy house, nice clothes, vacations every year, et cetera. I had fun and happened to learn the importance of independence along the way.

1 comment:

Bag Blog said...

My kids grew up thinking we needed to stockpile supplies in case of the crazed city people pouring into the countryside when the year turned 2000. Then there were all those gov conspirocies - Randy Weaver, Waco, little black helicopters...Fortunately we all outgrew that crap and live fairly normal lives now:)