Sunday, August 23, 2009

If I was a baby boomer with a bad comb-over I'd be bitter, too

Asshole.
Members of so-called Generation X are as fixated on the '80s as old hippies are on the 60's. This year has brought a bumper crop of Reagan-era nostalgia, what with "G.I. Joe," "Transformers 2" and the deaths of Michael Jackson and '80s teen auteur John Hughes.
Doesn't seem to me that GI Joe and Transformers are being marketed towards Gen X specifically. Obviously these flicks are Gen X retreads, but it appears the targeted audience is now teens and not us washed up GenXsters.
In regards to Jackson and Hughes deaths, what should the coverage been like? Jackson certainly had a lot of publicity in death, but it still seems tiny compared to John Lennon's assassination. And in regards to Hughes I hardly heard/read anything besides a Yahoo headline and on a few assorted Gen X friendly blogs.
Don't worry dickhead, we're a small generation and don't have the #'s to push our pop culture down your throat.

2 comments:

Sisu said...

You know, my brother was born in 1961, and he had the original G.I. Joe (marketed 1964) wouldn't that then make G.I. Joe a Boomer toy/idea?

Wek said...

Very true. All this movie is doing is enriching the originator of GI Joe.