Thursday, August 13, 2009

RIP - Les Paul

Wow. Hugely huge loss of a music icon. Metal would be nonexistent without his monumental contribution.
One of the most celebrated guitarists of the 1990s, former Guns N' Roses thrasher Slash, paid loving homage to Paul, who he praised as an inspiration. "Les Paul was a shining example of how full one's life can be. He was so vibrant and full of positive energy," said Slash, who has his own signature line of Slash Les Paul Goldtop guitars. "I'm honored and humbled to have known and played with him over the years. He was an exceptionally brilliant man."

Another modern guitar giant, Joe Satriani, bowed at the altar of Paul, saying in a statement, "Les Paul set a standard for musicianship and innovation that remains unsurpassed. He was the original guitar hero and the kindest of souls. Last October, I joined him onstage at the Iridium club in NYC, and he was still shredding. He was and still is an inspiration to us all."

2 comments:

Kath said...

Not knowing anything about guitars, I still knew the name Les Paul. Sorry to hear of his passing.



Also, Mr. Wek, just checking on you -- between hurricanes and headlines of shootings and killings and bodies found in houses in Tampa -- just hoping you and the GF are doing well!!!

Altho, if a hurricane is coming in the Gulf, I'm just guessing you're out there in the water. Be careful.

Wek said...

We're safe and sound down in the Land of Kooks.

I have to say that I'm disappointed in the waves from the 'storm'. I didn't even get my surfboard wet.