Monday, June 28, 2010

Actually azzhole, we're not too picky where we work now.

Easy to tell when an article is written by a baby boomer.
As my story Friday detailed, there has been much concern over a shrinking talent pool within Gen X to replace the baby-boomer generation of city managers.

But the generational problems in the talent pool don't stop with Gen Xers. Generation Y has even less interest in serving their communities through local governments.

Service-mined members of Generation Y would rather work in the profit sector, said Frank Benest, a retired city manager who works with the International City/County Management Association on solutions to the problem.

5 comments:

Bag Blog said...

Boomers were all about community and communes.

Wek said...

Jeezus. I vomit at the thought of a commune.

Bag Blog said...

I've lived in Taos, NM, home of the commune (see Easy Rider). I had a friend who told me he lived in a commune in Taos in the 60's, but all they ate were salads and he got hungry. I have lots of stories of left-over hippies still living in the area. They named their kids things like Pilar, Milagra, Star Dancer...It was so bad that I was embarrassed to be a gringa.

Wek said...

And sadly it was GenXers stuck with those names. I knew a guy named "Sargeant Pepper".

Bag Blog said...

"Sargeant Pepper" LOL