Thursday, January 29, 2009

Go Cards

The Super Bowl hysteria is in full swingy in my Tampa Bay area. Drunken Steeler fans are fighting and puking all over themselves, strippers are making 2K a night, and celebrities are having parties in the most obnoxiously trendy bars.

Since the home team failed again to make the playoffs I don't have a dog in the fight, but I've decided to root for the Cardinals for the most stupid reason; their quarterback, Kurt Warner, is a GenXster. Back in 2000 when he won the Super Bowl with the St. Louis Rams I could never imagined I'd be pulling for this guy. The media seized on his pre-NFL human interest story of having to bag groceries for a living and then he fell in love with a woman that lived in a trailer with a barking dog and a crying baby. It was incredibly lame and, in my eyes, he couldn't have dropped off the Earth fast enough. But now that I've grown up to be an oh-so-mature Latchkey Man I've changed my mind and wish him the best on Sunday and beat the Steelers with the Millenial QB.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does that mean you have the barking dog and crying baby?

Wow.


Kath

The Ледоруб (The Ice Ax?) said...

Hate to be such a northeasterner, but I'm pulling for the Steelers. I wanted to say I was going to go with Tomlin as the Gen X coach, but I see Wisenhunt was born in ’62, making him a Gen X'er, too, so there goes that approach.

At a quick and completely unscientific glance, this could be the first time two Gen X coaches face each other in the Super Bowl. In fact, looks like Jon Gruden might be the last (and first?) Gen X head coach in the Super Bowl.

Of course, Warner's bagging-groceries-to-riches story is still a good one — unfortunately, the way our retirements are looking, bagging groceries may very well be our retirements, but I digress.

Jennifer Chronicles (jenx67.com) said...

Gen X will prevail. 856 CDT. Score 20 to 23: It's not looking good for the Steelers. Ha!

Wek said...

No barking dog or crying baby for me. Although I do have a pet turtle.

Ice- well you got your wish.

Jen- we didn't get ours'.

The Ледоруб (The Ice Ax?) said...

Happy about my Super Bowl team. (Go Steelers!) Not so much for my retirement prediction.