Thursday, January 29, 2009

You're gonna need a bigger boat

This is good for the tourist industry: 1000 sharks decided to vacation in Florida today (check out the video in the link).

I spend a lot of time in the water (surfing, snorkeling, swimming) and I swear sharks present a VERY minimal threat. Every time I see one it further confirms they have no interest in humans and bites are most often a case of mistaken identity (usually in muddy water where they can't see well).

Tips to avoid being bit:

- night/dusk swimming increases the odds of getting chomped

- wearing shiny jewelry is a no-no

- don't swim in a swarm of bait fish (bigger fish are around)

- if you're fishing while standing waist deep in the water do not have a bunch of bloody bait attached to a belt

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Never having seen a shark anywhere near me in the water -- I think I would be so freaked out if I did, the shark would bite me just to shut me up.

Your tips on how to avoid getting chomped seem simple, but how many times has it happened just that way.

Kath

Jennifer Chronicles (jenx67.com) said...

Good to have these tips handy in case I ever go near potentially shark-infested waters (in oklahoma). hahahahahaha