Monday, June 1, 2009

They're saying we fucked up baseball, too

It looks like the "we can all be friends" Millenials are gonna be heroes and save baseball.
But just as a new generation of baseball heroes emerged in the 1930s and '40s to save the game's reputation, baseball is already witnessing the emergence of a new generation of Millennial ballplayers who will lead the sport to its next golden era.

Most of the major leaguers of the 1910s and early '20s and again in the '90s and first decade of the 21st century came from a generational archetype labeled "reactive" by theorists William Strauss and Neil Howe. In the first instance it was the Lost Generation (born 1883-1900) and in the second, Generation X (born 1965-1981). In both cases, these generations were raised by relatively self-absorbed parents who left their children to fend for themselves, producing alienated, individualistic, risk-taking adults.
Of course no one in MLB complained when attendance went thru the domes during the 1990's. Owners and baseball's front office just looked the other direction.

7 comments:

Kath said...

I hate baseball.

Wek said...

Well "Go Yankees" to you, Kath! haha

Kath said...

I get my pick of Orioles or Nationals. Geez, decisions, decisions.


When did you say minicamp starts?

Bag Blog said...

We went to the Big 12 Conference baseball tournament in OK City - great fun! Today we are debating on going to the final game of the college women's softball tournament. Some day, I would like to see a pro game. I love the game.

Kath said...

BB, What kills it for me is those blessed stats.

"Well, Jim, this is the 24,000th time he's been at bat, on a Monday, in July, in New York, with 50,293 people present, and 27 ice cream, soda and hot dog vendors in the aisles when he hits a single. Now, if he were to hit a double, then whoo-hoo, the stats would be a bit different. Let's review those!!"

OMG.

Jennifer Chronicles (jenx67.com) said...

You're a keen observer and I am not patronizing you when I say you have stumbled upon something here and should further distill it. This could very well be an opinion editorial in a major daily. Do you want to collaborate with my husband on this? He's a huge baseball fan. I know - why don't you write a guest post for my blog?? I'll see if I can get a popular local blogger in OKC to link to it. They're Gen Xers who cover a lot of sports - lostogle.com.

Very interesting take, Wek. You always have original ideas.

And, I'm taking credit for Naomi finding you.

I figure eventually, we'll all end up on Good Morning America.

hahahahahahah!

Wek said...

Jen- shoot me an email. Thx!