Tuesday, November 3, 2009

You won't see me at church or temple...

...but I like any religion who's members don't knock on my door asking me to join.
A blogger writes about how one of Judaism's holiest days ended, for her, in a strip club, while elsewhere a guy strolls into a tattoo parlor requesting a Star of David. Two women exchange wedding vows in a Jewish ceremony, and hipsters toss back bottles of HE'BREW, The Chosen Beer. A full-time software developer prepares to lead a group in Jewish prayer, as a PhD candidate in Jewish thought pens a letter criticizing Israel's policies.

Meet the "New Jews," as some call them: pockets of post-baby boomers -- or more accurately Generation X and Millennial (Gen Y) Jews -- who are making one of the world's oldest known monotheistic faiths and its culture work for them and others in a time when, more than ever, affiliation is a choice.

4 comments:

Jennifer Chronicles (jenx67.com) said...

i thought this was so interesting. i could dig a star of david tattoo.

Wek said...

Those tats looked cool. But I'm kind of a pentagram type of guy.

Bag Blog said...

I read something way back that said many Jews were changing over to Buddhism and Rabbis were wondering why. We had neighbors in NM who claimed to be Jewish/Buddhist/Christians - I thought they were just confused - maybe they were really Confucius!

Wek said...

BB- hahaha!