Monday, March 2, 2009

Semper Paratus

Something happened. I sat on my board waiting for a decent wave when I spotted a news helicopter heading out in the Gulf of Mexico.
The Coast Guard on Monday narrowed the search area for two NFL players and a third man missing since a weekend fishing trip off the Florida Gulf Coast after crews rescued a fourth man clinging to their capsized boat.

Survivor Nick Schuyler, a former University of South Florida player, told rescuers that the boat the four friends were aboard was anchored when it flipped Saturday evening in rough seas, said Coast Guard Capt. Timothy M. Close. Since then, Schuyler, who was wearing a life vest, had been hanging onto the boat found by a Coast Guard cutter 35 miles off Clearwater.

The Coasties are some righteous dudes and dudettes. What a tough job they've enlisted to do. Most of the time around here they are rescuing drunks that hit sandbars, but more often than not they're risking their lives to save boaters in a bad spot or chasing smugglers with 5 mil worth of dope and no intentions of going down easily.

Thanks USCG!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Coast Guard is so awesome (that is the word for them), so I hope somehow this turns out well, but I really don't see how after all this time.

Kath

Anonymous said...

I just saw this afternoon where they said at sundown they're calling off the search.

Good Lord, how does the family handle that?
My prayers go up for them.

Kath

Wek said...

Those poor families. I hope that somehow the bodies are recovered, but that seems unlikely at this time.