Monday, May 11, 2009

Random Remembrance

Fifth grade. Terrible time when older dudes liked to see how many of my friends and I they could shove in a locker.

"You wear this fuckin' hat all day in school." An 8th grader put a foam baseball cap on my head at the bus stop. "If I see that you're not wearing it I'll beat your ass." He stood in my face like a drill instructor.

The hat didn't make it past 1st period. After Mr. Murphy took attendance he read the inscription above the bill.

Murph pulled me from my seat by my T-shirt, tossing me towards the door. He followed close behind, slamming the door when we edged into the hall.

"What the hell are you thinking wearing a hat saying 'Give Me Head Until I'm Dead'?"

I had know idea what the 3rd definition of "head" meant at ten years of age? I just understood that it pissed adults off and made my folks receive a call from the school's office.

Worst part: I didn't rat out the 8th grader. That would have guaranteed a beating if I rolled over on him. Still, he didn't appreciate I jumped on the grenade for him. Pissed off that the hat became property of the Principal he took my basketball for compensation.

4 comments:

Jennifer Chronicles (jenx67.com) said...

too bad you blog anonymously. you could out the little pig, like i outed john brezeale on my blog recently. i received several comments from peeps on that post about bus trauma/drama. my kids will never ride the bus. no. matter. what.

Bag Blog said...

That is the thing about bullies - they will use any excuse to beat someone up. Rat them out so that you have some satisfaction even if you take a whippin' for it.

Wek said...

I'd thank the bully now. Because of assholes like him I started lifting weights in middle school and never stopped.

Kath said...

I was so oblivious when I was little I really don't know how I got through elem. at all.

Then when I was in high school my mom worked at the school, so I kinda NEVER got in trouble. I was more afraid of her than any kids.