Tuesday, March 23, 2010

On second thought...

Maybe we do work too hard.
NEW PORT RICHEY — An experienced tree trimmer who slashed himself with a chain saw while 40 feet up a pine tree died after refusing to come down for medical attention, according to a Pasco Sheriff's Office death investigation released Monday.

Daniel Antrobus, 48, was straddling a branch above a yard in the Tanglewood East neighborhood Friday evening when he accidentally carved a 4-inch cut into the back of his right leg, exposing the bone, deputies said.

2 comments:

2Karl said...

I work as a tree surgeon myself, and there's so much wrong with this story I don't know where to start. How did an experienced climber manage to cut the BACK of his leg, unless he was making a dangerous cut to save time? Why wasn't he wearing all-round leg protection (UK law requires this, not sure about you guys across the pond). Ground crew should be trained in aerial rescue and have him on the ground ready for the emergency services. They shouldn't take no for an answer either - If I was on the ground and saw "profuse bleeding" from the climber, I'd be up the tree like a rat up a drainpipe to bring him down. If I'm climbing, I expect my ground staff to do the same. I don't think it's a case of the climber working too hard here, I think it's the ground staff not working hard enough - combined with the US' slightly dodgy health and safety laws.

Nice blog BTW, nice to see someone sharing my contempt for pointless remakes

Wek said...

T-Wolf, thanks for an insider's perspective. Much appreciated. The last time I climbed a tree it was to retrieve a football.

Don't be a stranger. You'll see I hold contempt for a lot of things.